8 February 2021
"Production mix" planning is a common business problem. That is, given available resources, what mix of products should we make to maximize profit?
With potentially many trade-offs between production choices and available resources, deciding on the best volume for each product can be a complex decision. The gains from making a better decision can be substantial, leading to improved profit and more efficient use of resources.
25 January 2021
The "facility location problem" is a common, and often difficult, decision that organizations need to make.
Facilities may include assets such as factories, warehouses, shops, mobile telephone sites, etc. Such assets are typically long-lived, so the decision about where to build them has a long-term impact on the organization.
A wrong, or sub-optimal, decision is likely to be very expensive. To help make the decision, we can model the facility location problem using an optimization model in Excel.
11 January 2021
This is a blog about optimization modelling.
We focus on building optimization models in either Python (using a variety of libraries, such as Pyomo and OR-Tools) or Excel (using the Solver or OpenSolver add-ins).
- Optimization model examples, with detailed explanations and Excel spreadsheets available for download.
- Projects we've worked on recently (anonymized, of course).
- Links to posts by other optimization bloggers.
- Interesting developments in the optimization field.
- Updates to relevant software.
- Anything else relating to optimization modelling that grabs our attention.