25 January 2021 (2,368 words)
The "facility location problem" is a common, and often difficult, decision that organizations need to make.
Facilities may include assets such as factories, warehouses, shops, mobile telephone sites, etc. Such assets are typically long-lived, so the decision about where to build them has a long-term impact on the organization.
A wrong, or sub-optimal, decision is likely to be very expensive. To help make the decision, we can model the facility location problem using an optimization model in Excel.
11 January 2021 (130 words)
This is a blog about optimization modelling.
We focus on building optimization models in either Python (using a variety of libraries, such as Pyomo and OR-Tools) or Excel (using the Solver or OpenSolver add-ins).
- Optimization model examples, with detailed explanations and Excel spreadsheets available for download.
- Projects we've worked on recently (anonymized, of course).
- Links to posts by other optimization bloggers.
- Interesting developments in the optimization field.
- Updates to relevant software.
- Anything else relating to optimization modelling that grabs our attention.